The NZ Music Commission kicked off NZ Music Month early with an industry party last night in honor of all the NZ number one records of the decade '00 - '10.
Of the Top Ten biggest selling NZ singles in the last decade, our little indie label Dirty Records has had four of them.
That's 40% of the biggest selling singles in NZ since 2000 (Dirty Records started in '01).
And also I'd like to note that I produced and co-wrote 4 songs on the list! (Stand Up, Not Many, Everything & Stop The Music).
1. They Can't Take That Away - Ben Lummis SonyMusic
2. Always On My Mind - Tiki Taane DirtyDub/DRM *
3. Stand Up / Not Many - Scribe Dirty/Warner
4. Brother - Smashproof feat. Gin MTC/Universal
5. Black Box - Stan Walker SonyMusic
6. One Day - OpShop Siren/174East
7. Everything P-Money feat. Vince Harder - Dirty/DRM *
8. Bathe In The River - Mt Raskil PS feat. Hollie Smith EMI
9. Stop The Music - P-Money feat. Scribe Dirty/Warner
10. Swing - Savage DawnRaid/Universal
As brought to my attention by Cath Andersen, Chief Executive of the New Zealand Music Commission. That's some official verification for ya.
I know I'm blatantly blowing my own trumpet here but forgive me, it's for archival purposes.
This is so I can look back on my little blog in years to come and be like "hey kids, your old man was pretty good at something..."
* EDIT - I incorrectly listed Rhythm Method as distributor of the "Always On My Mind" and "Everything" singles. When in fact those singles were (and are) digital only releases handled by our good friends at DRM. Rhythm Method distribute the physical CD albums containing those tracks but there was never any physical stock produced of the "Everything" or "Always On My Mind" singles. Which makes those sales achievements even more significant don't you think, go digital only! :)
The Rose Tint Deluxe Edition
1 year ago